Dual Core Temperature Difference

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

OmegaZero

Dual Core Temperature Difference

Post by OmegaZero » Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:44 pm

I was hoping to solicit some opinions on a temperature matter...

I just finished building my new system (look for a system spec & pics in the gallery soon!) which is based on a Conroe E6700. The idle core temps are 30C and 33C at stock speeds with an Ultra-120 running passively. For load testing I went ahead and over clocked ~30% and ran Intel TAT, Orthos, and CPUBurnx4, each for about 12 hours. According to TAT and CoreTemp the load temperatures seem to top out at 55C & 57C respectively. Overall I am comfortable with these temperatures, considering the over clocking, passive cooling, and that the throttling temperature of my processor is 85C.

My question is regarding the difference between the two. I could go ahead and take the heatsink off, clean it with my arctic silver cleaning kit, reapply the AS5, and see if I get it a little more even... Is 2C-3C difference really worth the trouble or am I just being picky?

EDIT: Just wanted to note that the load utilities I mention were run successively, not concurrently.
Last edited by OmegaZero on Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:51 am

I went ahead and over clocked ~30% and ran Intel TAT, Orthos, and CPUBurnx4, each for about 12 hours. According to TAT and CoreTemp the load temperatures seem to top out at 55C & 57C..passive cooling
:shock: Incredible! You put it under a mammoth load and it didn't even break 60C! Passive! (but with case fans, right?)
Is 2C-3C difference really worth the trouble or am I just being picky?
Picky. It's normal for a dual-core to display slight temp differentials, nothing to worry about.

OmegaZero

Post by OmegaZero » Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:01 am

Yeah, I was pretty impressed too. I have an Antec SOLO with 2xNexus 92mm @ 12v intakes and a Panaflo 120mmx38mm L1A @ 7v for an exhaust. I was hoping that a huge fan like that for an exhaust would alleviate the need for a heat sink fan (since there is very little space between them). Unfortunately it's just too loud and will have to go, so I expect the temps to increase a little. Perhaps a duct with a Nexus? We'll see...

I figured I was being a little anal - just wanted to confer with you guys as a head check :wink:

Anyone else want to weigh in?

cmthomson

Post by cmthomson » Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:08 pm

2-3C difference is perfectly normal.

Your temps are very low. Don't worry, be happy.