Fan Isolation Mount Problem

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

JEN

Fan Isolation Mount Problem

Post by JEN » Mon Jun 30, 2003 10:19 am

This one has been puzzling me for a few weeks now!

How are you supposed to remove them without tearing them ???

lenny
Patron of SPCR

Post by lenny » Mon Jun 30, 2003 11:07 am

The very experienced Ralf Hutter once mentioned in reply to one of my questions that you cannot remove isolators from a 120mm Panaflo without destroying them, as they are a very tight fit.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Tue Jul 01, 2003 5:23 am

I've had some succes by smearing a little soapy water* on the isolator cones before I try and pull the fan off. Sometinmes it works, sometimes it doesn't. But I buy them from McMaster-Carr in packs of twenty so they're not too expensive.

*BTW, doing this makes it a lot easier to assemble them too, especially for the isolators that are in the hard-to-get-to places.

al bundy

Post by al bundy » Tue Jul 01, 2003 7:06 am

I've just had very good luck so far I guess - I just grab and pull a little bit of the isolator head out and then grab it with needlenose pliers, and gradually pull! So long as I also "wiggle and pull" the fan in the opposite direction simultaneously, those little guys stretch really thin (until I think they're just about to break) and then just snap out. After a few seconds they look exactly the same as new again! Their durability has really surprised me.

8)

Td_nw

Post by Td_nw » Tue Jul 01, 2003 4:10 pm

I have torn 3 just trying to get them installed on my two fans. I cannot even imagine finding a way, including soapy water and wiggling, to not destoying these things should I ever remove them.

Thank goodness McMaster ships little baggies with plenty in them.

My advice is buy extra.

aphonos
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aphonos » Tue Jul 01, 2003 6:26 pm

My successes/failures with installation and removal of the isolators in my case has been directly linked to whether or not the hole in the case was drilled to 3/16" and deburred. Smaller holes (even by 1/32") led to tearing, as did holes with unfinished or rough edges.

I've never had a problem pulling them out of a fan since the isolators stretch as al bundy described.

Riffer

Post by Riffer » Wed Jul 02, 2003 3:21 am

If you can get a firm grip on the fan itself and pull, the whole fan will come off quite easily.

Td_nw

Post by Td_nw » Wed Jul 02, 2003 5:19 pm

On re-examinination, I may be using mine diferently than most.

Isolation Mount Top - Wire Grill - Rubber Grommet Outside part- Case - Rubber Grommet inside part - 120mm JMC Fan - Isolation mount tip

My isolators are stretched about as far as they will stretch, just being installed. Hence a few breaking when I was installing.

Many others appear to have more success than me at removing. :oops: I may just have issues. :lol:

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Thu Jul 03, 2003 5:17 am

Td_nw wrote: :oops: I may just have issues. :lol:
Here's your *issue*: "Wire Grill"

That stretches the snot out of the isolator. Someone here suggested drilling a tiny pilot hole in the back of the isolator and using short sheetmetal screws to screw on the fan grill. Me, I just leave the grills off. No kids or pets and with only 9 3/4 fingers left, I've learned where not to stick my fingers. :)

Herb W.

Post by Herb W. » Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:04 am

Ralf, could you say which model of the McMaster fan isolator fits the Panaflo 120? I need 'em for a Sonata....

Tx.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sat Jul 12, 2003 4:22 am

Herb W. wrote:Ralf, could you say which model of the McMaster fan isolator fits the Panaflo 120? I need 'em for a Sonata....

Tx.
5801K8

It's a tight fit but it works. Soapy water really helps with these. :)

FLD

Removing isolators: tried alcoolic window cleaning liquid?

Post by FLD » Mon Jul 21, 2003 12:40 am

If soapy water is not enough, I would suggest trying one of these liquids you spray on windows to clean them.
That's a well known mountain-biker's trick, which works perfectly to remove rubber handles from the bike's handlebar. It seems the alcool these liquids contain temporarily (10-15 sec) releases the grip, before it evaporates.