Another Massive Writedown From AMD

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

jaganath

Another Massive Writedown From AMD

Post by jaganath » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:43 pm

http://www.physorg.com/news135009511.html
In a filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission, AMD said it recently discovered that its business units that make chips for cell phones and digital televisions, both acquired as part of the ATI transaction and considered "noncore" parts of AMD's operations, weren't performing up to expectations.

As a result, the company plans to write down the value of their goodwill, or intangible assets such as reputation, and take charges of $880 million in the latest quarter, which ended June 28.

AMD had previously written down ATI's overall value by $1.6 billion in January, in a staggering reassessment that indicated the perception of ATI in the market had slipped dramatically.

Taken together, AMD has effectively said that ATI is now worth 44 percent less as a company than when AMD bought it.
shares are down almost 90% from their 2006 high. OK, the company may not go under, but surely some executive heads should roll for such an incredibly ill-advised (and now it seems massively overvalued) acquisition??

Nick Geraedts
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Nick Geraedts » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:50 pm

Ouch... even more pain from the A-team...

psiu

Post by psiu » Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:13 pm

That sucks.

Hopefully the cpu crew at DAAMIT can get their butts in gear and put something out there alongside the video side that is very competitive.

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:54 pm

Take another look in 6 and 12 months time, I suspect the case will be very different from now. Part of the reason why they have lost value is the stock market, and the fact that AMD bought ATI when the stock market and ATI's valuation was quite high - so most of the valuation can be ignored (from the future value point of view).

AMD knew when they bought ATI that they were in for the long haul, they were not at all interested in making a profit from ATI for the next 12-24 months, what they wanted was market share, and reputable name everywhere (CPU, GPU, Chipset), and future tech. AMD has been playing its luck on its future technologies for a long time now, ATI is the next chapet in its book, its been a rough ride so far, but right now DAAMIT must be smiling on 2 of its 3 fronts. Chipsets are good, Graphics cards are good, CPU's are good up to a price point, then they are bad. If AMD can start knocking out chips that can compete with Intels they have all of the Aces at their disposal, until then they are the competitor that has a nice hand, is pissing off its enemys and is still fighting hard.

Personally I dont really care what DAAMIT do with the rest of their business (consumer) so long as they make a profit that they can then pump into RandD for new CPU/GPU/Chipset's.

AMD did a really smart thing by buying ATI - the (obvious) fact that it worked out fiscally bad for them is not a major point to me. They are now competing against the huge might and clout of Intel AND nVidia at the same time, and all things considered are not doing that badly.

I wish them the best of luck for the future as a company, and I the best of luck for the consumer, as without them we would be legft with Intel and nVidia, which means NO competition at all - what the consumer wants (needs) is competition.

Andy

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:51 am

now that Ati HD 48x0 is selling like hot cakes, while nVidia is having serious troubles as some of its excluding partners are teetering in brink of bankruption due very low yields nVidia's cards have given. The fact GT 2x0 was almost immediately dropped significantly due HD 48x0 series made yields even more horrible...

A-team will regain now a lot lost grounds in GPU wars... After all Gainward is making first Ati chipsets, which is telling that all is not too good in the green team... Let's see if/when XFX, Evga or BFG will jump on the same bandwagon with Gainward...

FartingBob
Patron of SPCR

Post by FartingBob » Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:56 am

Now all thy need is a competitive desktop CPU. Ok they are doing ok in the cheapo market, but anything over $100 intel owns it.

tehfire

Post by tehfire » Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:21 am

Just as an aside, when the ATi aquisition rumors started I thought ATi would sell themselves over their dead body. Now that we see that AMD overpaid by roughly half, it makes sense why ATi sold themselves so quickly ::smile::

cercle

Peace Love &Unity

Post by cercle » Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:40 am

:twisted: AmdAti's officials said, read this on spcr,the market we aim is global :all purpose pc all over the world:web...basic pc designed by and sold to china,india.....mostly.From Europe, I heard, they said research and elite products are good for fame, we prefer to sell (make money )than to be famous 8) .Ati goes the Guerillas'way ,no need to waste money on a 280,simply assemble two basic Ati and :twisted: attack. Some may buy Crossfire ,X2...I won't :the special drivers bother me,so I'll be waiting for a silent 2x0 45shrink design or a total new.I think there is an other problem:intel versus nvd!It seems that nvd would like to sell some physix and even a single core computer ,some kind of eepc!I hope they wont loose time/money on that. :wink:

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:58 am

I won't :the special drivers bother me
Special drivers :? I am using the 8.7 Beta's, and have had no problems at all so far, except for ATI Tool, but as that is not even a full release product it isnt worth worrying about..

Drivers are often flawed when a new product is released, the 48xx are no exception. This is actually a bonus really, as the next batch of drivers will increase the speed, closing the gap even more with the GT260.

Andy

qviri

Post by qviri » Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:41 am

I'm told ATI is the only part of AMD that's remotely close to making money at this point.

jhhoffma

Re: Peace Love &Unity

Post by jhhoffma » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:16 am

cercle wrote::twisted: AmdAti's officials said, read this on spcr,the market we aim is global :all purpose pc all over the world:web...basic pc designed by and sold to china,india.....mostly.From Europe, I heard, they said research and elite products are good for fame, we prefer to sell (make money )than to be famous 8) .Ati goes the Guerillas'way ,no need to waste money on a 280,simply assemble two basic Ati and :twisted: attack. Some may buy Crossfire ,X2...I won't :the special drivers bother me,so I'll be waiting for a silent 2x0 45shrink design or a total new.I think there is an other problem:intel versus nvd!It seems that nvd would like to sell some physix and even a single core computer ,some kind of eepc!I hope they wont loose time/money on that. :wink:
Please, I beg you, use proper punctuation in your own native language and translate. Your posts give me headaches trying to figure out where one sentence starts and another ends.

I use "..." as much as anyone else here, but it really has to separate a thought or leave it open ended. Colon (:) separates a complete thought from another. Most importantly, in every language I've ever seen punctuation comes before a space, not the other way around!

No disrespect intended (I mean that), but considering some of the looks and sneers my family has received when visiting your country and trying to speak in French (and probably doing a bad job of it), I would think that the French would be a little more diligent when communicating in another's language.

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:06 pm

surely some executive heads should roll for such an incredibly ill-advised (and now it seems massively overvalued) acquisition??
http://www.physorg.com/news135533426.html
AMD changes CEO as turnaround pressure intensifies

The executive changeover came as AMD reported that it lost $1.19 billion in the second quarter, worse than the $600 million it lost in the same period a year ago.