With RMclock or other software, can I adjust below 4x multip

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

dan

With RMclock or other software, can I adjust below 4x multip

Post by dan » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:42 am

With RMclock or other software, can I adjust below 4x multiplier?

The lowst speed/multplier Rmclock allows is on a compaq presario f730us with amd tl-55 1.8ghstock is 4x - 800mhz.

as earlier vista power save is 4x 800mh 0.9v

rmclock lets me go to 4x 800mh 0.7v a near 40% reduction.

rmclock's drop down menu do not have an option of going lower than 4x, though the volts go down much further, to 0.1

Can I go lower than 4x to say 3.5 or 3x= 600mhz or even 2x=400mhz and more deeply undervolt into the nether region below 0.5 volts with software, rmclock or otherwise? to really reduce cpu heat and power consumption?

thank you

juamez

Re: With RMclock or other software, can I adjust below 4x mu

Post by juamez » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:38 am

dan wrote:With RMclock or other software, can I adjust below 4x multiplier?

The lowst speed/multplier Rmclock allows is on a compaq presario f730us with amd tl-55 1.8ghstock is 4x - 800mhz.

rmclock's drop down menu do not have an option of going lower than 4x, though the volts go down much further, to 0.1

Can I go lower than 4x to say 3.5 or 3x= 600mhz or even 2x=400mhz and more deeply undervolt into the nether region below 0.5 volts with software, rmclock or otherwise? to really reduce cpu heat and power consumption?

thank you
My guess is that the cpu power consumptoin at 4x MP and 0.7V is but a mere shadow of it's full power potential. The extra difference you'll get with another undervolt/underclock of your cpu gets more and more negligible compared to the rest of the components that are sipping the power away from your battery. But anyway, it's fun to work out a problem like this, no?

Ontopic: my guess is that a MP of 4x is the lower possible MP on such a cpu. Just like 6x is the lowest possible MP on my Intel Pentium M based laptop, resulting in 800MHz. I know that the range of multipliers is hardcoded on the cpu. Like 5x is the lowest possible MP for an AMD K7 (Athlon) chip. I don't think you can do anything, except maybe lower the "frontsidebus", which may eventually result in weird system behavior, since it's linked to almost everything on your motherboard.

dan

Re: With RMclock or other software, can I adjust below 4x mu

Post by dan » Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:05 am

juamez wrote:
dan wrote:With RMclock or other software, can I adjust below 4x multiplier?

thank you
My guess is that the cpu power consumptoin at 4x MP and 0.7V is but a mere shadow of it's full power potential. The extra difference you'll get with another undervolt/underclock of your cpu gets more and more negligible compared to the rest of the components that are sipping the power away from your battery. But anyway, it's fun to work out a problem like this, no?

Ontopic: my guess is that a MP of 4x is the lower possible MP on such a cpu. Just like 6x is the lowest possible MP on my Intel Pentium M based laptop, resulting in 800MHz. I know that the range of multipliers is hardcoded on the cpu. Like 5x is the lowest possible MP for an AMD K7 (Athlon) chip. I don't think you can do anything, except maybe lower the "frontsidebus", which may eventually result in weird system behavior, since it's linked to almost everything on your motherboard.
Oh I agree but I am still hoping for some program that lets me continue to underclock/undervolt beyond what RM clock allows.

prodeous

Post by prodeous » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:07 pm

Worst case.

If there is no sub 4x multiplier, downclock the fsb? But not sure what type of performace hit that would be..

walkingjohn

Post by walkingjohn » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:03 am

If it's like recent desktop AMD cpus, the cpu speed can't be lower than the hypertransport speed. So if your BIOS lets you lower the HT multiplier, you might be able to lower the cpu multiplier further. RMclock should list the new multipliers if they become possible.