HD103UJ noise

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

ey51

HD103UJ noise

Post by ey51 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:41 pm

hi there,
went with the spcr storage recommendation and got HD103UJ 1tera storage which is supposed to be one of the quietest if not _the_ quietest 7200rpm drive.
it's mounted vertically with silicone gourmets in a P182 case (bottom hdd cage), and it's the noisiest hdd i had. i got this to add to my aaks5000 since i ran out of storage and it makes clicking (seeking?) noise very often (but not all the time) even when i'm not being hard on the drive (like surfing the web). i got no background services that might use the hdd extensively and besides it's non-system drive and i use it just for storage.

anyone else experience the same with this supposedly silent drive?

thank you in advance

tehfire

Post by tehfire » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:54 pm

I have the 320GB version of that drive (HD322HJ) and I don't hear any of the clicking that you hear. Seek noise is very muffled (sort of a quiet rumbling). There is a slight motor whine, but I can only hear it when I am right in front of the drive (my system is very quiet).

Perhaps your drive is defective?

InfyMcGirk

Post by InfyMcGirk » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:42 am

I have two HD103UJs in my current system and I can't hear them over the slightly aging 320GB SpinPoints I have next to them. Using the HD103UJs on their own, I hear quite a defined spin-up sound at startup (I get that 'beating' effect as the noise of both drives interacts) until their motors seem to stabilise somehow and after a minute or so, I can't hear the idle noise. Their seeks are reasonably unobtrusive too. No clicking from mine while idle...

My case is pretty good - an Acousticase C6607 lined with Acoustipack - although I don't use any worthwhile form of suspension, only hard rubber grommets in the (horizontal) drive rack.

Could it be that the drives don't like being mounted vertically? Just thinking out loud... I don't know if that could be it or not.

Geod
Friend of SPCR

Post by Geod » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:00 pm

Hi,

I've also found the hard drive noisy when softmounted using the antec drive trays. Once I suspended the drive the idle noise was greatly reduced, but, the seeks are still audible and sometimes produce high pitched squeals.

casebuyer

Post by casebuyer » Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:34 am

so seagate 7200 1.5 TB WD green 1 TB 5400 other alternatives
which one you people recommend instead

http://techreport.com/articles.x/16221/2