Help choosing fan for TRUE (ultima-90)

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

eliil1

Help choosing fan for TRUE (ultima-90)

Post by eliil1 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:19 pm

Hello!

I need a new fan for my cpu cooler ultima-90 ,and I need it to be quiet AND as cooling as possible , I've been thinking about :
1.Scythe S-flex 1600rpm
2.Scythe GentleTyphoon AP15
3.Enermax Apollish
4.Scythe SlipStream 1200rpm
5.Arctic Cooling AF12025 PWM

another question : will it help if I install 2 fans on TRUE , one 120mm and another on the other side 90mm fan to take the air out of the TRUE to the rear fan in the case?

oh and are those 5 fans that I mentioned able to lower/increase the RPM according to the cpu temp. ? I don't wanna change the RPM manually =\

Thank you,
Best Regards,
Eli.

Kimi

Re: Help choosing fan for TRUE (ultima-90)

Post by Kimi » Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:54 am

eliil1 wrote:oh and are those 5 fans that I mentioned able to lower/increase the RPM according to the cpu temp. ? I don't wanna change the RPM manually =\
To do that the fan needs to be PWM (4 pin). Only the AC fan of those you mentioned is PWM.
eliil1 wrote:another question : will it help if I install 2 fans on TRUE , one 120mm and another on the other side 90mm fan to take the air out of the TRUE to the rear fan in the case?
Since your CPU Cooler isn't designed to perform as good as posible with a low rpm quiet fan (due to the lower fin distance), you will need a fan that has good static pressure to push enough air through the dense fins. Since you want something silent and with PWM I would recommend you Akasa Apache.

Using a second fan to pull the air from the cooler's fins won't make any significant difference. If you put another Akasa fan in pull mode you will probably see a decrease of temperature by 2-3 degrees celcius.

eliil1

Post by eliil1 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:03 am

Will Arctic Cooling AF12025 PWM do the job? or even 2 fans like this?
I can't find the Akasa in my city...

Only :
1. GentleTyphoon A14
2. AC AF12025
3. Apollish
4. ZM-F3
5. Slipstream 1200rpm

which one has the best static pressure? and which one will drop the temps the most ?

about the RPM speed, can I set in bios that at particular temps the RPM will increase and etc.? or only if it's PWM ?

(the cooler is Ultima-90, I got confused at the beginning I thought it's TRUE...)

thank you,

EekTheCat

Re: Help choosing fan for TRUE (ultima-90)

Post by EekTheCat » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:34 am

Kimi wrote:
eliil1 wrote:oh and are those 5 fans that I mentioned able to lower/increase the RPM according to the cpu temp. ? I don't wanna change the RPM manually =\
To do that the fan needs to be PWM (4 pin). Only the AC fan of those you mentioned is PWM.
I have the S-Flex 1600RPM cooling my Thermolab Baram, connected directly to the Gigabyte EP45-UD3P's CPU fan header. It's running below 800RPM at idle (BIOS, HWMonitor). I just set fan control type in BIOS as "voltage" instead of "PWM". Maximum temperature at stock speed (1.26V) is 56C (28C ambient) while running an hour LinX session. PWM may be needed if your motherboard doesn't support fan voltage control. I didn't go for a PWM fan because they're more expensive than their normal counterparts around here.
Like Kimi said, you'd want high static pressure for heatsink fans (S-Flex, GentleTyphoon) and high CFM for case fans (SlipStream).

eliil1

Post by eliil1 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:03 am

I just checked, in my city I can get only the GT 1450rpm , not 1800rpm. but it's bad isn't it?

I can also find in our stores slipstream 1200 rpm, and Arctic Cooling AF12025 PWM.

which one is better?
I need mostly silence, cooling is very important too tough [=
if there's need , I'll take 2 fans.

EekTheCat

Post by EekTheCat » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:55 am

eliil1 wrote:I just checked, in my city I can get only the GT 1450rpm , not 1800rpm. but it's bad isn't it?

I can also find in our stores slipstream 1200 rpm, and Arctic Cooling AF12025 PWM.

which one is better?
I need mostly silence, cooling is very important too tough [=
if there's need , I'll take 2 fans.
You better check if your motherboard can undervolt the CPU fan. If it can't and since you don't want to use a fan controller, you're better off with a slower fan or that AC PWM fan. Slower S-Flex or the 1450RPM GT should be good for non-PWM fans.
I wouldn't use the SS due to its low static pressure. Use it only as a case fan.
Push-pull shouldn't be necessary unless you're overclocking and feeding the CPU a lot of voltage. Better use the pulling fan as a case exhaust instead.

lm
Friend of SPCR

Post by lm » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:44 pm

You don't specify what your TRUE needs to cool, but my TRUE has a Scythe S-FLEX 800rpm fan on it and cools a Q9450. Never bothered to tweak anything in this combo and haven't got any problems with it.

EekTheCat

Post by EekTheCat » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:34 pm

lm wrote:You don't specify what your TRUE needs to cool, but my TRUE has a Scythe S-FLEX 800rpm fan on it and cools a Q9450. Never bothered to tweak anything in this combo and haven't got any problems with it.
Does your S-Flex spin slower than 800RPM when idle?
OP's cooler is a TR Ultima-90, not TRUE. More like Mini TRUE.

lm
Friend of SPCR

Post by lm » Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:41 am

EekTheCat wrote: Does your S-Flex spin slower than 800RPM when idle?
OP's cooler is a TR Ultima-90, not TRUE. More like Mini TRUE.
No, mine is constant speed. It's not a bottleneck in my system anyway.

The topic mentions TRUE - maybe the OP should fix the topic if it's not valid...

coreyography

Post by coreyography » Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:22 pm

I have a couple of the Arctic Cooling 12025 PWMs, and I don't care for them. They don't push much air at a full 12V and have a "propeller" noise character to them, about as loud as my S-Flex SFF21E is at its full RPM (and, subjectively, about twice the airflow). They also won't give an RPM signal back to my fan controller.

I bought these because they were PWM, and because they had fluid bearings. But I probably won't be using them in my PWM application (which I just found out this evening I don't really need PWM for).

I like my Noctua PWM fan that came with the NH-C12P CPU cooler, but alone they are quite expensive -- about twice what a Scythe S-Flex costs.