Akasa Enigma - How to fit an optical drive inside?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

raphaelmsx

Akasa Enigma - How to fit an optical drive inside?

Post by raphaelmsx » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:06 am

Hi people.

I just bought an Akasa enigma mini-itx case and an Intel D525MW motherboard.

I really liked the case, but I couldn't fix my optical drive inside!

The supplied bracket along with the drive is blocked by the power supply and sata cables underneath them, and even applying a lot of force to push it, it won't go to the correct position.

Has anyone here successfully installed an optical drive in this case? How?

Other question: what is the maximum cpu cooler height supported by this case?

Finally, about the 40mm included exhaust fan, for me it's real quiet, since I live in a not so quiet place, I can barely hear the fan. What are the specs of this fan, and do you think that I could replace for even quietness, or this fan is already fine?

Thank you!
Raphael

quest_for_silence

Re: Akasa Enigma - How to fit an optical drive inside?

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:35 pm

raphaelmsx wrote:Has anyone here successfully installed an optical drive in this case? How?

Maybe you have got a not compatible board. Give a look here: http://www.bit-tech.net/blog/2009/03/27 ... -s-enigma/

raphaelmsx

Post by raphaelmsx » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:37 pm

quest_for_silence wrote:
raphaelmsx wrote:Has anyone here successfully installed an optical drive in this case? How?

Maybe you have got a not compatible board. Give a look here: http://www.bit-tech.net/blog/2009/03/27 ... -s-enigma/
Thanks for the answer.

After reading that review, I think I'm gonna stick to my external drive...

I have another mini-itx case waiting to be built, a Cooler Master Elite-100, it's still in the box. I hope that I can fit an optical drive on that one.

Arbutus

Post by Arbutus » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:29 pm

The supplied bracket along with the drive is blocked by the power supply and sata cables underneath them

Perhaps a 24 Pin ATX Power Extension Cable will help and SATA cables come with right angle connectors.

raphaelmsx

Post by raphaelmsx » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:17 am

Arbutus wrote:The supplied bracket along with the drive is blocked by the power supply and sata cables underneath them

Perhaps a 24 Pin ATX Power Extension Cable will help and SATA cables come with right angle connectors.
I will try that.

Do you know the maximum cpu cooler height that will fit into this case?

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:22 am

raphaelmsx wrote:Do you know the maximum cpu cooler height that will fit into this case?
It's written in those Bit-Tech articles, the absolute maximum should be under 37mm...

...however, why do you want to use "...one of the most horrid cases to ever fit a basic system into..."?

raphaelmsx

Post by raphaelmsx » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:31 am

quest_for_silence wrote:
raphaelmsx wrote:Do you know the maximum cpu cooler height that will fit into this case?
It's written in those Bit-Tech articles, the absolute maximum should be under 37mm...

...however, why do you want to use "...one of the most horrid cases to ever fit a basic system into..."?
I don't think that way.

IMO, the case is small and beautiful, and was easy to fit the mobo, hdd, etc... the fan is quiet, external psu... My only complaint is that I couldn't fit (yet) an optical drive.

raphaelmsx

Post by raphaelmsx » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:57 am

quest_for_silence wrote:
raphaelmsx wrote:I don't think that way

You're (obviously) welcome: personally I'd be scary about "The Enigma completely failed to keep our single core Atom board anywhere near safe operating temperatures when under load and if we’d left it to run would simply have cooked the hardware installed into it.".

Have a good luck!
Yeah, I read that.

Well, I am running my D525MW (dual-core atom) non-stop for about 3 weeks now...

Sometimes I spent hours running these apps all at the same time with no problem: utorrent, virtualbox with 1 vm, firefox, thunderbird, wmp (audio) or vlc (720p), and also burning a dvd...

Is there any program that can display temperatures of mobo and components (and compare to safe baseline temperatures)?

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:12 am

raphaelmsx wrote:Is there any program that can display temperatures of mobo and components (and compare to safe baseline temperatures)?

You may give a try to RealTemp/ThrottleStop or similar utilities: however they don't give a safe range, just the Tjmax (100° C for the Atom, I suppose). You may also send a mail to Bit-Tech.net to know what they used.