Ghosting Screen, Any suggestions

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

mykez69

Ghosting Screen, Any suggestions

Post by mykez69 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:20 pm

Hey. Got my new pc up and running. I am very pleased with it.

However, I have a ghosting issue when I connect it to my 40'' LCD via VGA. I always have the PC connected via DVI for my monitor, but occasionally I use the extended desktop mode.

On my old pc, with the same 40'' LCD and same VGA cable, there wasn't a ghosting issue at all. It's only happening on this new pc.

I'm not sure if a fault has occurred since switching my pc, I doubt it.

Vicotnik
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: Ghosting Screen, Any suggestions

Post by Vicotnik » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:57 pm

The analog outputs are of varied quality, perhaps your old setup was a bit better in that regard. Best solution would be to only use digital outputs if that is an option. Most modern setups today have several digital outputs.

boost

Post by boost » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:29 am

Ghosting is something that occurs on when gaming or less frequently when watching a fast movie sequence, the key word being movement. Not all LCDs refresh quickly enough to display movement clearly and when two or more pictures blend together it's called ghosting. Ghosting is an issue inside the LCD, mostly the panel itself, sometimes it's post-processing, but always only inside the monitor.
What you describe sounds more like general blurriness on the desktop. That is a connection issue on analogue outputs.
If the screen and cable are the same it's the other end: the graphics card.
Older reviews tested the output quality of analogue outputs on graphic cards, newer ones rarely do since most screens are connected digitally. If you must use an analogue connection it's hard to recommend a new card.
Users that do professional image manipulation sometimes (still) use CRTs with analogue connections and you will have to prey them from their cold,dead hands. Some professional graphic cards still have high quality analogue outputs as do some of Matrox' cards.
If you don't want to buy one of these go digital.

lhopitalified

Post by lhopitalified » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:52 pm

You can check the frequency of the VGA output from your computer. It's possible that your new computer/graphics card isn't detecting the specs of the LCD correctly, and is outputting at a weird frequency that your 40" lcd doesn't support well.

SebRad
Patron of SPCR

Post by SebRad » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:56 pm

I've noticed DVI to VGA adaptors can reduce signal quality. Will be worse the higher the screen resolution.
If you have a (spare) digital input on your LCD and on the PC then use that with whatever cable/converter needed and problem avoided.
For VGA, which is analogue, cable and adaptor quality is important.
For DVI and HDMI which are digital once the cable is half reasonable quality no more makes any differance, bought sensibly £5-10 should be enought for DVI or HDMI cable.
Good luck, Seb