Image upload space on SPCR forum increased

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Post Reply
Rebellious
Posts: 322
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:53 pm
Location: EU, USA

Image upload space on SPCR forum increased

Post by Rebellious » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:56 am

False start, I'm trying to upload photos but I'm getting, "Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached". Does the attachment feature work here?

CA_Steve
Moderator
Posts: 7469
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:36 am
Location: St. Louis, MO

Re: Home theater PC without a keyboard

Post by CA_Steve » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:39 pm

Management has been apprised of the situation. Stay tuned.

MikeC
Site Admin
Posts: 12283
Joined: Sun Aug 11, 2002 3:26 pm
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Contact:

Re: Home theater PC without a keyboard

Post by MikeC » Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:52 am

Should be working now. The space limit on the server for uploading images has been doubled. I changed the original title, "Home theater PC without a keyboard", for obvious reasons. Rebellious, feel free to start a new thread with that heading.

Rebellious
Posts: 322
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:53 pm
Location: EU, USA

Re: Home theater PC without a keyboard

Post by Rebellious » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:35 am

MikeC wrote:Should be working now. The space limit on the server for uploading images has been doubled. I changed the original title, "Home theater PC without a keyboard", for obvious reasons. Rebellious, feel free to start a new thread with that heading.
What's the limit? I've never uploaded anything before, but I was gonna post a whole bunch.

CA_Steve
Moderator
Posts: 7469
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:36 am
Location: St. Louis, MO

Re: Image upload space on SPCR forum increased

Post by CA_Steve » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:40 am

I think the limit was for all of the user forum images. I don't think you have to worry. :) Just size the images for viewing on a 1080p or smaller monitor so we don't have to scroll around when viewing.

MikeC
Site Admin
Posts: 12283
Joined: Sun Aug 11, 2002 3:26 pm
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Contact:

Re: Image upload space on SPCR forum increased

Post by MikeC » Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:10 am

CA_Steve wrote:I think the limit was for all of the user forum images. I don't think you have to worry. :) Just size the images for viewing on a 1080p or smaller monitor so we don't have to scroll around when viewing.
MAximum dimension allowed is 1280... but 99% of the time, there's nothing to be gained from making them even that big. 1024 is plenty big enough.

Rebellious
Posts: 322
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:53 pm
Location: EU, USA

Re: Image upload space on SPCR forum increased

Post by Rebellious » Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:36 pm

Thanks Mike. So there's no per user max? It only lets me upload 3 pics per post, so I'll have to keep posting as time permits.

MikeC
Site Admin
Posts: 12283
Joined: Sun Aug 11, 2002 3:26 pm
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Contact:

Re: Image upload space on SPCR forum increased

Post by MikeC » Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:50 pm

Rebellious wrote:Thanks Mike. So there's no per user max? It only lets me upload 3 pics per post, so I'll have to keep posting as time permits.
Yes, no limit per user, but 3 per post.

flemeister
Posts: 346
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:42 am
Location: Australia

Re: Image upload space on SPCR forum increased

Post by flemeister » Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:01 pm

Why not use a third-party image hosting site such as postimg.org? :)

MikeC
Site Admin
Posts: 12283
Joined: Sun Aug 11, 2002 3:26 pm
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Contact:

Re: Image upload space on SPCR forum increased

Post by MikeC » Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:26 pm

flemeister wrote:Why not use a third-party image hosting site such as postimg.org? :)
In nearly 11 years, umpteen images without which forum discussions become nonsensical have been lost due to such third-party hosters disappearing, users accounts being deleted, etc. A lot of it is trivial, but some important -- now historical, I suppose -- threads have suffered. This way, SPCR content remains more in our control.

Rebellious
Posts: 322
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:53 pm
Location: EU, USA

Re: Image upload space on SPCR forum increased

Post by Rebellious » Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:21 am

MikeC wrote:
flemeister wrote:Why not use a third-party image hosting site such as postimg.org? :)
In nearly 11 years, umpteen images without which forum discussions become nonsensical have been lost due to such third-party hosters disappearing, users accounts being deleted, etc. A lot of it is trivial, but some important -- now historical, I suppose -- threads have suffered. This way, SPCR content remains more in our control.
Good idea Mike. My AT&T server stopped working, so all my photo-links for the past 10+ years are now dead. One of my threads here with about 100,00 hits is now unusable. viewtopic.php?t=51531

Linux has a built-in FTP server (Pure-FTP) but I don’t know how to set it up. My HTPC idles at 18W at the wall, so I’d love to host my own. I think one has to setup the FTP daemon and the NAT router to use PASV for the FTP server. Then use something like Namecheap as domain registrar and DDNS service. I wish I had the patience to set it up.

flemeister
Posts: 346
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:42 am
Location: Australia

Re: Image upload space on SPCR forum increased

Post by flemeister » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:42 pm

Good point indeed. :)

I usually just resign myself in the knowledge that websites may close down, and that I'll lose whatever I had on there. As a minor example, the dota-allstars game forum that closed down, taking with it ~6000 of my posts and a couple of my game character guides (that I worked pretty hard to make). :(

For files that I upload, I always keep a copy saved on my PC, plus backups. Then over the years, re-upload it whenever I find broken links. I'd love to setup my own FTP server for hosting my own data. Just a basic one for serving photos for PC build logs for the long term. :)

thierry.
Posts: 126
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:07 am
Location: Vienna - Austria

Re: Image upload space on SPCR forum increased

Post by thierry. » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:45 am

MikeC wrote: In nearly 11 years, umpteen images without which forum discussions become nonsensical have been lost due to such third-party hosters disappearing, users accounts being deleted, etc. A lot of it is trivial, but some important -- now historical, I suppose -- threads have suffered. This way, SPCR content remains more in our control.
Thanks for this very good approach.
I have to look at my pictures again, and remove them from third party hosting, and put here, for keeping longer.
I wish more forums would do the same.

Sometimes, I almost want to host on my own server, but I don't really want to point to my "thierrydomain.com/images/" for private reasons.

Post Reply