Does TIM expire?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Post Reply
xev
Posts: 217
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:47 pm
Location: New York

Does TIM expire?

Post by xev » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:33 pm

Does TIM expire?

If so, whats a good one for direct heatpipe cooloers like the old Xigmatek/ Cooler Master 212

quest_for_silence
Posts: 5275
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:12 am
Location: ITALY

Re: Does TIM expire?

Post by quest_for_silence » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:35 pm

xev wrote:Does TIM expire?

As any chemical compound, it has its own shelf life (it degrades over time, though usually you also notice that from its physical aspect): often it's declared on the box/tube.
When applied, it depends of the specific paste in how much time it dries up (but usually enthusiasts-grade ones are way less prone to, than cheap OEM ones, being richer in oil/silicon/grease/whatever).
All in all, direct observation/personal experience really matters, more than theorethical speculations.

xev wrote:whats a good one for direct heatpipe cooloers like the old Xigmatek/ Cooler Master 212
In EU the Arctic Cooling MX4 has a very favourable performance/price ratio (among enthusiasts-grade TIMs), though probably my favourite is the Thermalright Chill Factor III: take also note that, on those old first generation HDT/DCH coolers, tinting actually helps a bit more (though it's tedious), whichever the paste is.

Fire-Flare
Posts: 422
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:44 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: Does TIM expire?

Post by Fire-Flare » Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:49 am

To extend their shelf life, Arctic Silver recommends storing their compounds tip-down in a refrigerator, and allowing them to return to room temperature before using them again.

There are comparisons of TIM performance online, but in the end it's up to the user which price-to-performance ratio fits their needs best.

quest_for_silence
Posts: 5275
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:12 am
Location: ITALY

Re: Does TIM expire?

Post by quest_for_silence » Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:24 pm

Fire-Flare wrote:To extend their shelf life, Arctic Silver recommends storing their compounds tip-down in a refrigerator, and allowing them to return to room temperature before using them again.
So what a shame that Arctic Silver products are not competitive... :wink:

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*
Posts: 2000
Joined: Tue May 15, 2007 1:39 am
Location: Finland

Re: Does TIM expire?

Post by Das_Saunamies » Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:04 pm

Still trucking with the original Arctic Silver tube I bought in... 2004? Earlier? Just on principle, to see how long it can go. So far the consistency and efficiency have been much the same, year in year out, kept it sealed in a bag in cool storage (+16 °C maybe?). I have not had to use it in a year or two, so don't know what the current status is - or if I still have the tube after the last move.

Has worked on everything from plate to exposed heatpipe; first Scythe then Xigmatek then Noctua, and any cooler installations I loaned the stuff for. One passive GPU cooler replacement as well. I don't know what this talk about "not competitive" is, Luca, but then again I haven't used any modern Arctic Silver stuff.

Fire-Flare
Posts: 422
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:44 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: Does TIM expire?

Post by Fire-Flare » Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:16 pm

quest_for_silence wrote:
Fire-Flare wrote:To extend their shelf life, Arctic Silver recommends storing their compounds tip-down in a refrigerator, and allowing them to return to room temperature before using them again.
So what a shame that Arctic Silver products are not competitive... :wink:
Perhaps not with the low melting point metal alloy TIMs... :P

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*
Posts: 2269
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 9:09 am
Location: Northern California.

Re: Does TIM expire?

Post by xan_user » Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:12 pm

as soon as i can find my 13+ year old tube of AS5, im running a test between that, a brand new tube, and some vaseline.

quest_for_silence
Posts: 5275
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:12 am
Location: ITALY

Re: Does TIM expire?

Post by quest_for_silence » Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:11 pm

Fire-Flare wrote:Perhaps not with the low melting point metal alloy TIMs... :P
They are not with lots of compounds. :wink:

xan_user wrote:as soon as i can find my 13+ year old tube of AS5, im running a test between that, a brand new tube, and some vaseline.

Nice! Do you mind to throw in a different paste also?

CA_Steve
Moderator
Posts: 7466
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:36 am
Location: St. Louis, MO

Re: Does TIM expire?

Post by CA_Steve » Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:19 am

quest_for_silence wrote:Nice! Do you mind to throw in a different paste also?
Crest 3D White Luxe Glamorous White Vibrant Mint Flavor Whitening Toothpaste, perhaps? It's got a lot of adjectives, it must be good :)

xan: I've got a 2 yr old tube of Ceramique 2 that's been sitting in my paper clip tray. Want to borrow it? Send me an inbox with your address.

quest_for_silence
Posts: 5275
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:12 am
Location: ITALY

Re: Does TIM expire?

Post by quest_for_silence » Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:47 am

Uh? Why did your post appear so late? I mean, just *now*... Steve?

Das_Saunamies wrote:I don't know what this talk about "not competitive" is, Luca, but then again I haven't used any modern Arctic Silver stuff.
I made a brief round up a while ago (look for kryonaut in the forum), Arctic Silver products didn't go that well (comparatively).

CA_Steve
Moderator
Posts: 7466
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:36 am
Location: St. Louis, MO

Re: Does TIM expire?

Post by CA_Steve » Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:03 pm

quest_for_silence wrote:Uh? Why did your post appear so late? I mean, just *now*... Steve?
Huh?

quest_for_silence
Posts: 5275
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:12 am
Location: ITALY

Re: Does TIM expire?

Post by quest_for_silence » Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:29 pm

CA_Steve wrote:
quest_for_silence wrote:Uh? Why did your post appear so late? I mean, just *now*... Steve?
Huh?
Das_Saunamies' post "appeared" on my screen after your one (when I wrote this, there wasn't), like it happens when a post is under moderation... rather odd...

CA_Steve
Moderator
Posts: 7466
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:36 am
Location: St. Louis, MO

Re: Does TIM expire?

Post by CA_Steve » Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:59 pm

nope - no moderation going on..just an internet oddity.

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*
Posts: 2000
Joined: Tue May 15, 2007 1:39 am
Location: Finland

Re: Does TIM expire?

Post by Das_Saunamies » Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:26 pm

Das_Saunamies wrote:I don't know what this talk about "not competitive" is, Luca, but then again I haven't used any modern Arctic Silver stuff.
I made a brief round up a while ago (look for kryonaut in the forum), Arctic Silver products didn't go that well (comparatively).
Ah, gotcha, I'll be sure to take a look. The state of the TIM debate (meaning "discussion" more than "argument") was pretty stale the last time I heard any news.

Post Reply