How do i replace my old HDD with my new HDD

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

RaNDoMMAI
Friend of SPCR

How do i replace my old HDD with my new HDD

Post by RaNDoMMAI » Tue Jan 27, 2004 6:58 pm

hey guyz.

I just decided to buy a new samsung 160gig HDD to replace my super loud WD HDD.

I was wondering how do i replace the HDDs?

I want to totally replaced the WD with the samsung, how do i transfer the data from the WD to the samsung?

Do i need to rreinstall windows?

Is there a way to make an exact copy from the old drive to the new drive?

What do i do witht he old WD harddrive? DO i just format it and try to sell it on ebay or something?

TIA
~RaNDoM

screw3d

Post by screw3d » Tue Jan 27, 2004 7:18 pm

Hmm I am thinking about doing the exact same thing myself. What do you mean by how to replace the HDD? You can use Norton Ghost to make an exact image of your old HDD.

You can also put both drives in the system, and use windows explorer to copy from the old drive to the other.

Generally you don't really need to reinstall Windows, but personally I think it'll be a good excuse to give your OS a good scrubbing. Just reinstall it :P

I am tempted to say that I would really wanna get a cheap WD of someone to RAID it to mine, but the people here will personally hunt me down and kill me :P

starsky
Friend of SPCR

Post by starsky » Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:47 pm

I normally Try and build from scratch on a new HDD, because windows gets a little bloated...

I also own Ghost, which is nice, but if you can't afford it, you can try this:

http://software.freshmeat.net/projects/ ... =142%2C253

This is an opensource disk cloner that runs off a bootable linux floppy (so you don't need to have linux installed to run it)

asterixnet

Post by asterixnet » Thu Jan 29, 2004 12:00 am

I'd use Ghost or the Linux floppy. If your running Windows NT, 2K or XP and using NTFS on your drive then windows explorer won't be able to make an exact image of your drive by copying. It'll be missing some of the important boot info and MBR as explorer can't see these, hence it wont boot off the new drive. As part of my personal vendetta against Seagate's software I'd also recommend you download a copy of their diskwizard utility, put it on a floppy and burn it... :twisted:
I used it and it took 8 hours to copy my drive (58gb) but the image was all screwed and I had to reformat and reinstall on the new drive anyway... A fresh install of windows is good, but it always takes longer than you think to get all your personal touches back into order.

RaNDoMMAI
Friend of SPCR

Post by RaNDoMMAI » Thu Jan 29, 2004 8:37 am

Thx guyz for the input

i found a cheap copy of norton 2003
here
http://www.directron.com/sys.html

I will post what happens when my HDD comes in

~RaNDoM

DavidG

Post by DavidG » Thu Jan 29, 2004 9:57 am

If you are planning to sell or give away your old drive, be aware that a reformat does NOT clear the drive. If you care about this topic (any financial data or sensitive cookies?), look around for a program to wipe the drive.

RaNDoMMAI
Friend of SPCR

Post by RaNDoMMAI » Thu Jan 29, 2004 3:44 pm

DavidG wrote:If you are planning to sell or give away your old drive, be aware that a reformat does NOT clear the drive. If you care about this topic (any financial data or sensitive cookies?), look around for a program to wipe the drive.
i didnt know that, how do i totally clear the hardrive? what program do u recommend?

thanks for the warning
~RaNDoM

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Fri Jan 30, 2004 6:26 am

RaNDoMMAI wrote:
DavidG wrote:If you are planning to sell or give away your old drive, be aware that a reformat does NOT clear the drive. If you care about this topic (any financial data or sensitive cookies?), look around for a program to wipe the drive.
i didnt know that, how do i totally clear the hardrive? what program do u recommend?

thanks for the warning
~RaNDoM
I use Autoclave or DBAN depending on which floppy I find first.

WARNING: Read the readme's and be real careful using these. If you wipe the wrong drive your data will be gone.

RaNDoMMAI
Friend of SPCR

Post by RaNDoMMAI » Fri Jan 30, 2004 7:54 pm

awesome thx alot
U have been of great help Ralf
~RaNDoM

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Wed Feb 04, 2004 8:41 pm

Say, doesn't using one of the manufacturer disk utilities to perform full surface low level formats also do a good job of killing the data on the drive?